Monday, June 24, 2013

Cheeseburger Casserole Pinterest Project #19

It was sooooo Hot here today.
Do not ask me why I decided to bake a casserole...but I did...and I am glad that I did!
It was delicious!
Cheeseburger Casserole...my original plan was to make soup...yeah I am nuts...I know
I found this recipe of course on Pinterest...and the original is HERE



2cups (6 oz) uncooked rotini pasta
2tsp oil
cups onions, finely chopped
1garlic clove, finely chopped
1lb lean ground beef (95% lean) (80 % lean drain fat)
¾tsp salt
½tsp black pepper
2tbsp tomato paste ( I used ketchup)
28oz diced tomatoes
2tbsp Dijon Mustard ( yellow works fine)
2cups reduced fat grated cheddar cheese ( whole milk cheese used here)
¼cup chopped dill pickles

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 × 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente and drain well.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the beef and cook until browned; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomato paste, then add the tomatoes and mustard. Let the mixture bubble gently until it is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Toss the meat mixture with the pasta and spread it into the prepared dish. Top with the cheddar and bake until the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the chopped pickles over the top and serve. Makes about 9 cups
Servings: 9 • Size: about 1 cup • Old Points: 6 • Weight Watchers Points+: 7
Calories: 261 • Fat: 9 g • Protein: 21.5 g • Carb: 21.5 g • Fiber: 2 g • Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 468.5 mg
 
 
 ***
I substituted Ketchup for tomato paste and I also used tomato purree and chopped tomatoes.
I also used yellow mustard instead of Dijon...
I am a rebel like that  ;)
Oh and I used real whole milk cheese...

Serve with chopped pickles on top...deeeelicous..

No comments: